Thursday, January 8, 2009

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

Way back in 1997, after the Jayhawks suffered a shocking tournament loss to the Arizona Wildcats, Shona and I made a deal that when they finally became National Champions, we would get a tattoo of the original 1912 Jayhawk. And after many, many years of disappointing losses (10 years worth to be exact) we were starting to think we'd be hitting the tattoo parlor with our canes and walkers.
But on April 7, 2008, the Jayhawks surprised us. Down by 9 with 2:12 left to play, the boys (with a little help from the Memphis free throw line) stormed back and cut the lead to 3 with some fast and furious scoring. And then Mario hit the shot heard round Jayhawk Nation, and we knew. And as the last seconds of overtime ticked off the clock, through all the screaming and celebrating, I heard my cell phone beeping. I got a text message from Shona that said it all...
When are we getting our tattoos?
Thank you Shona, for introducing me to your beloved KU basketball in the first place-the first real memory I have of you is from Late Night freshman year. You are one of the most amazing people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I feel so blessed to have you in my life. You're not just my best friend, you're family, and I know that like that tattoo, you'll be there till the end. And we'll still be cheering for those Hawks...

1 comment:

Cindy said...

you forgot to show it to me when I saw you last weekend. It looks great! I love it!